Warning: Kids light-up runners burst into flames

© JovianFlower/Imgur
© JovianFlower/Imgur

Kids love runners that light up when they dance or run down the road but, after one family had a terrifying experience, experts warn that they could be a fire hazard.

The backseat of the Jovan Virag's car caught fire last weekend.

"As soon as we opened up the car door, we could smell the burning plastic," Jovan Virag told KHOU 11 News.

"I'm just glad that my son wasn't wearing them at the time," said Virag. "I don't know if he could have told me his foot was hot, and I don't think he could have taken it off by himself."

"Even though it's a small battery, it still has enough energy to create a fire," said Cam Cope, President of Auto Fire and Safety Consultants. He says the shoes can literally light up.

"They're not high quality," said Cope. "They're made in China. In China, the wiring is very, very small. The smaller the wire, the more potential problems you'll have with wires and fires."

Cope recommends checking your child's shoes often for overheating and never leaving them in a car. 

"If you put your fingers in them you can sometimes feel the heat is there. It will heat up for some time before it ignites."

Share this article